Skip to main content

Happy New Year!

Dear Readers,

A few weeks ago, I had posted some personal thoughts on my reflection on the current political situation in the old country, i.e., India. I understand that in the world that is dominated by the social media every post can get scrutinized and over-analyzed. Our American media has its own biases and even the holy grail called the NY Times is not immune from this disease. Just remember the numbers these smart folks were depicting to show how Hilary Clinton was ahead of Donald Trump. However, media has its own limitations and the results to my surprise were different than what the NY Times had predicted. Now that Russia has become the drum that we beat each time when some attacks happen, it will be interesting to see if we as the Nation-State have refrained from hacking the secure networks of the other nation-states....I am writing this to convey to you that I have my own biases. And these biases do reflect on my posts.

So dear friends, life is what it is and what we make of it in the circumstances we find ourselves in. I do not know what kind of effect my post on the current Indian situation could have had on you. I believe that it is negligible. India is where I was born. India has given me my culture, my accent, and my world-view. I cannot change it and the arguments that I make are a part of what makes me an Indian.

So I leave you with two things...a trailer from a wonderful Bollywood movie that I watched today on the New Year's eve. It is directed by Aamir Khan and it is called "Dangal". I enjoyed it very much. And of course, I will refuse to get up for the National Anthem when it played after the screening. I just left....LOL. And Also, I am sending you my well-wishes through this card below.

Aamir Khan's Dangal below:





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Web-comics

Web-comics: Some Links by Liladhar R. Pendse (UC Berkeley)

This exhibit also takes in consideration comics that are born digital. The webcomics represent a unique opportunity for their creators to provide outreach to multiple audiences. Below are some suggested webcomics that can make this exhibition more interesting to our visitors.The list below was adapted for use from Buzzfeed.com, scroll.in and other sites. Some of these comics might be sensitive to their viewers. I would advise viewer’s discretion. This is not a comprehensive list but it provides a meaningful insight into the mysterious world of the webcomics.

Nedroid Fun Times” by Anthony Clark.“Hark! A Vagrant” by Kate Beaton.“Hooray for Teamwork” by Owl Turd.“The Paradox of Choice” by Cat and Girl.“Spelling” by the Perry Bible Fellowship.“Lyme Disease” by Joy Ang.“Super Foods” by übertool.“Surreal Strokes” by ChaosLife.“The Future of Elections” by Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.“Grrl Power”-A webcomic about superheroines.“A…

Call for papers: ‘Rethinking Revolutions’ - London School of Economics - 26th May 2017.

Call for papers
‘Rethinking Revolutions’ - London School of Economics - 26th May 2017

Over the past twenty years, the study of revolution has lost the centrality it once enjoyed. Yet the study of revolutions has never been so important: in thinking through the aftermath of the Arab uprisings, exploring the ideology of ISIS and other Islamist groups, understanding self-proclaimed revolutionary movements in the West, and interpreting the experience of states that continue to see themselves as revolutionary, such as China, Iran, and Cuba. The study of revolution needs to catch up with the actual experience of revolutionary movements and states.

One barrier to this endeavor is the fracturing of the study of revolutions into different disciplines and sub-fields. This workshop seeks to bring together scholars and students working on revolutions from different disciplinary backgrounds (e.g. Sociology, International Relations, History, and Political Science), sub-fields (e.g. social movements…

Job: Data research analyst for the project Golden Agents

Data research analyst for the project Golden AgentsInstitute for Logic, Language and Computation – Department of PhilosophyPublication date9 January 2017Level of educationUniversitySalary indication€2,552 to €4,028 gross per month, based on 38 hours per weekClosing date20 January 2017Hours30,4 hours per weekVacancy number17-009 The Institute for Logic, Language and Computation (ILLC) is a renowned research institute at the University of Amsterdam, in which researchers from the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Science collaborate. The research carried out at Humanities forms one of the six research schools within this faculty. ILLC’s central research area is the study of fundamental principles of encoding, transmission and comprehension of information. Research at ILLC is interdisciplinary, and aims at bringing together insights from various disciplines concerned with information and information processing, such as logic, philosophy, linguistics, musicology, mathematics, compute…