DIGITAL HUMANITIES LIBRARIAN
This is an exciting opportunity for a forward-thinking individual to collaborate with SDSU’s Digital Humanities Initiative to envision and develop digital scholarship services at SDSU. This position will help build on one of SDSU’s Areas of Excellence, “Digital Humanities and Global Diversity,” which generates humanistic critical research with a specific focus on diversity. This position is appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian rank, depending on qualifications.
The successful candidate will:
- Serve as a strategist and resource person for the library on digital scholarship and collaborate with cross-disciplinary faculty in the “Digital Humanities and Global Diversity” Area of Excellence;
- Plan and implement new services to support digital humanities across the university based on current standards, best practices, and user needs;
- Provide expert consultation, support, and training on digital scholarship tools and techniques, including but not limited to, digital curation software, text-mining, and data-visualization;
- Identify and evaluate current and emerging tools that support digital research and teaching;
- Initiate, build and nurture excellent relationships with a diverse university community to assist researchers in planning effective, innovative, and sustainable digital projects;
- Work independently and collaboratively with colleagues to identify current and emerging digital scholarship projects and to understand and develop strategies to support student and faculty needs;
- Take a leadership role in conceptualizing and developing a future digital scholarship lab in the library;
- Participate in fundraising and grant writing activities to support digital scholarship initiatives;
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
- Participate in library and university organizations, committees, task forces, and teams as appropriate;
- Serve as a subject librarian for a humanities or social sciences discipline;
- Other duties as needed.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian to Associate Librarian, depending on qualifications. Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor's degrees in 89 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 21 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in an academic or research library, or related area of digital scholarship or digital humanities.
- Successful experience in developing, introducing and managing innovative projects, services and programs for a multidisciplinary set of stakeholders.
- Experience managing staff, students, and services.
- Demonstrated successful project management, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Enthusiasm for experimenting with digital tools.
- Familiarity with creators’ rights and copyright issues.
- Experience working with faculty, researchers, staff, and students.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, particularly the ability to explain complex concepts to a wide variety of users in individual and group settings.
- A demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity.
- Ability to work as a team player in maintaining harmonious, cooperative working relationships with administrators, staff, and faculty.
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community.
- Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession (required qualification for an appointment to Associate Librarian).
- Experience as a library liaison to a humanities or social sciences discipline.
- Experience managing digital scholarship projects in an academic setting.
- Successful grant writing experience.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by March 8, 2016. Applicants must apply via Interfolio. Anticipated start date is August 2016.