The Center for Digital Humanities (CDH) at Princeton seeks an Assistant Director to play a leadership role in managing CDH-sponsored projects, fostering a dynamic community for postdoctoral fellows, graduate students and undergraduates, coordinating new initiatives, and participating in the administration of the CDH. The successful candidate will draw upon previous training and experience in digital humanities, project management, grant-writing, and program coordination to help the CDH develop these key areas of activity and outreach.
Reporting to the Associate Director, the Assistant Director, appointed at the rank of Associate Professional Specialist or more senior, will participate in the full slate of CDH-sponsored projects, offering project management support in project incubation, planning, implementation, and conclusion stages. He or she will help coordinate CDH staff work on projects, facilitating team building and monitoring resources. The successful candidate will design and oversee a CDH project portfolio process that ensures alignment with the Center’s strategic vision, priorities and resource allocation. The Assistant Director can serve as PI on internal and external grants.
The Assistant Director will support the Associate Director in ensuring the effective operation of the CDH. Administrative responsibilities will primarily consist of working closely with the Finance and Administrative Coordinator to ensure that project administration and event coordination is handled appropriately.
This position qualifies for 20% R&D time on a project chosen in consultation with the Associate Director.
• Designing and implementing a CDH project management methodology
• Offering project management consultations, training sessions, and workshops
• Grant writing and developing projects and partnerships within and outside the Princeton community (other digital humanities centers, foundations, government grants)
• Leading the Project Manager’s professional seminar
• Tracking and archiving project documentation
• Designing and implementing the CDH project portfolio process
• Serving as liaison, and coordinating programming for, CDH post-doctoral researchers, graduate students, and undergraduates
• Recruiting, training and supervising CDH graduate and undergraduate assistants.
• Managing CDH Postdocs, including postdoctoral researchers hired to work on a particular project in consultation with the CDH
• A PhD in a humanities or digital humanities discipline
• At least 3 years professional experience at a digital humanities initiative or center
• At least 3 years project management experience in an academic or library setting
• Experience working with diverse teams (faculty, graduate students, undergraduates, library staff, technologists, administrators) from various divisions of a university or college
• Experience recruiting, hiring, supervising and overseeing graduate and undergraduate student workers
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills