Skip to main content

Latin America and I- the "Indian" in Slavic disguise!

I am taking liberty to write about pretty much anything I want these days. The only principle that I follow is that my Swahili language professor Dr. David Kyeu of UC Berkeley and my parents had taught me. They said, write as you please, without fear but keep in mind two things--remember to treat the people in life with respect and dignity about whom you are writing.

Well today, I the Slavic Librarian will write about a friend who lives in a faraway land of Suriname. I have never met her in person, however we became friends of Facebook (before I annulled my account). Today it is raining in San Francisco and it reminded me of the lazy monsoon season in India. It also reminded me of the theme song from that the movie called the Last of the Mohicans. I understand that these two thoughts are some how not really related. But suddenly, I drifted in my thoughts about the world that I will perhaps never experience again, I remembered her beautiful voice. She is the pop music star from Suriname. Her name is Nisha Madran. She continues to exemplify for me what Homi Bhabha calls the hybridity in his "Location of Culture". She takes me back to my "India" and I have several versions of India. One that was an ally of the Soviet Union, the one that was ruled by dynastic dictator called Indira. Whose excesses in emergency caused her a lot of grief but she ended up destroying life of many innocent souls in Indian political context. Now one can doubt of the whole nature of this post. Nisha reminds me of all of the best that Indian culture transplanted against the will of those indentured Indians in Latin America.

Here is Nisha singing Yeh Sama-Besame. I miss your beautiful music here and thank you for taking me back to the good and fond memories of my home in 1970s. Thank you Nisha for bringing solace and longing through your singing here in cloudy, depressingly foggy and wet San Francisco. Please visit India and sing in India one day. In respect, Liladhar

PS And this is not a letter but a note of gratitude. I miss Latin America and its warmth. I miss and long for returning one day to place where I have never been to Suriname, to Guyana, to Central America's Belize where my roots were transplanted. LP.


And where is Consuelo Velasquez of Peru? Yeh Sama - Besame Fusion | Nisha Madaran | Yoana Borroto




Tujhse Naraz | Nisha Madaran | Official Music Video


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Web-comics

Web-comics: Some Links by Liladhar R. Pendse (UC Berkeley)

This exhibit also takes in consideration comics that are born digital. The webcomics represent a unique opportunity for their creators to provide outreach to multiple audiences. Below are some suggested webcomics that can make this exhibition more interesting to our visitors.The list below was adapted for use from Buzzfeed.com, scroll.in and other sites. Some of these comics might be sensitive to their viewers. I would advise viewer’s discretion. This is not a comprehensive list but it provides a meaningful insight into the mysterious world of the webcomics.

Nedroid Fun Times” by Anthony Clark.“Hark! A Vagrant” by Kate Beaton.“Hooray for Teamwork” by Owl Turd.“The Paradox of Choice” by Cat and Girl.“Spelling” by the Perry Bible Fellowship.“Lyme Disease” by Joy Ang.“Super Foods” by übertool.“Surreal Strokes” by ChaosLife.“The Future of Elections” by Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal.“Grrl Power”-A webcomic about superheroines.“A…

CFP: A Century of Movement: Russian Culture and Global Community Since 1917

A Century of Movement: Russian Culture and Global Community Since 1917
CFP Deadline: April 7, 2017
October 12-13, 2017
http://centuryofmovement.web.unc.edu
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Keynote Speakers: Katerina Clark and Marina Frolova-Walker
Conference Organizers: Jamie Blake and Grace Kweon, in collaboration with Annegret Fauser 
The cultural products of the last century reflect change, opportunity, and uncertainty, and demonstrate active negotiations between personal identity and social awareness, nationalism and cosmopolitanism, artistic voice and security. This conference, in the centennial year of the Revolution, seeks to explore the transformations set in motion during and after the events of 1917 through an examination of cultural production and practices, located both within and without Russia.

We will explore first and foremost the issue of human migration, particularly the patterns and developments set in motion by the Revolution. In light of today’s desperate discu…

CFP: Accelerated development? Socio-political landslides, cultural ruptures and literary history in Eastern Europe (Ghent University, Ghent, September 29 – October 1, 2017)

CALL FOR PAPERS Accelerated development? Socio-political landslides, cultural ruptures and literary history in Eastern Europe Ghent University September 29 – October 1, 2017
http://www.slavistiek.ugent.be/Accelerateddevelopment).
In 1964 the Bulgarian-Belarusian-Russian scholar Georgii Gachev coined the term ‘uskorennoe razvitie’ or ‘accelerated development’ in his 1964 monograph Accelerated Development of Literature: On the Basis of the Bulgarian Literature of the First Half of the 19thCenturyThe term describes what happened to Bulgarian literature during Ottoman rule. Being a ‘young’ and ‘peripheral’ literature, having started to develop only recently at the time, Bulgarian literature ‘had to’ go through the whole evolution of European literature at a high pace in order to catch up with the latter. One of the side effects of this accelerated development was that characteristics of different style periods could even co-occur. Gachev’s thought-provoking idea has never really received a l…