The third Russian interdisciplinary symposium:
Medical Anthropology: Issues, Methods, and Research Fields
June, 28-30, 2015
The language of the conference is Russian, although foreign speakers will be provided with translation services if needed.
Our goal is to unite and provide space for communication between Russian and foreign specialists (anthropologists, sociologists, medical doctors, philosophers) doing research in the field of Medical Anthropology. For this reason we are suggesting a wide range of topics for discussion:
- Medical Anthropology as a scientific discipline: theoretic and methodological ori-entations (medical ecology, narrative approach, interpretative approach, political economy of health, STS, etc.);
- Medical Anthropology in the system of education of medical professionals and an-thropology students;
- Biomedicine as a research field of Medical Anthropology;
- Political and economic dimensions of medicine(s);
- Non-conventional medicine(s): research field, methods, specifics;
- Traditional medical systems (Eastern medicines): history and present situation;
- Contemporary integrative (holistic) medicine: processes, issues, legal aspects;
- Doctor, healer and patient / psychotherapist, healer and client in the legal and soci-ocultural context;
- Anthropology of addiction (alcohol, tobacco, drug use);
- Medical Anthropology and infectious diseases (social, economic and cultural fac-tors of the spread of HIV, flu, tuberculosis, Hepatitis B, C, acute enteric infections, sexually transmitted diseases);
- Terminal and chronic patients in the focus of Medical Anthropology and Bioethics (politics of patients’ representation in mass media, research on patients’ narratives, hospices and palliative care in Russia);
- Medical Anthropology and mental health (ethnopsychiatry, ethnopsychology);
- Ethnopharmacology, ethnobotany, phytotherapy;
- Religious medicine(s) and religious practices;
- Urban health-promoting practices (fitness, gym, yoga, Qigong, sauna, massage, dancing, jogging, martial arts, etc.);
- New biomedical technologies (ART, cloning, stem cells, genetic diagnostics and therapy) as objects of anthropological enquiry;
- Evolutionary biology and medicine;
- Physical anthropology and principles of personalized medicine.
This list is open for suggestions and comments. Precise sections’ names will be formulated based on the applications we receive.
During the practical part of the symposium we are planning to organize visits to Moscow medical clinics and holistic medical center.
To participate in the symposium, please, send your information (name, short CV, topic, abstracts (up to 200 words)) to Aleksandra Kurlenkova (email@example.com) before February, 20.
Organization fee is 50 EURO.
Head of the Organization Committee – Kharitonova Valentina (Head of the Group of Medical Anthropology, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, firstname.lastname@example.org)
Symposium coordinator – Kurlenkova Aleksandra (research fellow, Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, email@example.com)