cfp: VERA KOMISSARŽEVSKAJA MEETS ELEONORA DUSE. The ‘Joan of Arc’ of the Russian scene and the ‘Divina’ of Italian theatre
( proposed for the period of 2-8 March 2015 )
• Vera Komissarževskaja’s ‘theatre of interiority’;
• The relations of Vera Komissarževskaja with theatre directors of her time (Arbatov, Karpov, Mejerchol’d, Stanislavskij etc.);
• Vera Komissarževskaja’s research of new forms of artistic expression and her influence on Russian Soviet actors of her time (Vachtangov and Michail Čechov);
• Relations to authors such as Anton Čechov, Gor’kij, the young playwrights of the Znanie company and the relative stage productions;
• Vera Komissarževskaja’s collaboration with Symbolist poets and artists and the creation of productions based on her artistic and directorial concept;
• The importance of music, timing and rhythm in Vera Komissarževskaja’s acting;
• Vera Komissarževskaja’s tour in the United States of America;
• The American and Russian critics on Eleonora Duse;
• The influence of Eleonora Duse on Russian theatre.
• Theatre enterprises and artistic directions;
• Social and political commitments;
• Hysteria and mysticism.
We kindly ask that you submit an abstract of no more than 300 words (in Italian, English or French) and brief curriculum vitae of about 200 words firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30th, 2014.
Università Ca’ Foscari di Venezia and Director of the “Centro Studi per la Ricerca documentale sul Teatro e il Melodramma europeo” (Study Centre for Documentary Research into European Theatre and Opera), Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice.
Università degli Studi di Roma “Tor Vergata” and Director of the publishing series “Arti dello Spettacolo/Performing Arts”.